This easy No Bake Lemon Cream Pie recipe is a lemon dessert lover’s dream. This creamy lemon pie begins with a homemade vanilla wafer and golden oreo crust, is filled with a no bake lemon pie filling and topped with homemade lemon whipped cream. It’s my current spring obsession.
This super easy lemon cream pie is made with all fresh lemon zest and juice, giving it a bright lemon flavor that is the perfect combination of sweet and tart.
Plus, I’m in love with the crust. I mean, a vanilla wafer crust and a golden oreo crust in one?! It’s love.
Have you ever been in a situation where someone asked you a question—a question specifically pertaining to you—and you completely blanked on an answer?
I, unfortunately, have had this happen more than I care to admit.
I’m worse than Ralphie on A Christmas Story when he meets Santa. “Football? What’s a football?”
Once, someone asked me who my favorite author was and you’d think I didn’t spend 4 years of my life studying literature. Author? What’s an author? Luckily, I think I recovered pretty quickly and offered some of my favorite books (sans authors, obviously), but still.
Another bright moment was when someone asked me what I’d been up to lately and the only answer I could think of was, “You know, just living life.”
Clearly, I don’t do well under pressure. Or with small talk.
Hopefully if someone asks me what my favorite dessert is, I’d be able to share this No Bake Lemon Cream Pie with them.
Given how much I think about this pie on any given day, especially during the spring and summer months, you would think I’d have no trouble whipping this answer out to anyone who asked.
So, enough about my inability to hold a conversation like a normal person. Let’s talk about this lemon pie! This undeniably creamy lemon pie.
There are a few things to note about this no bake lemon pie recipe:
- The lemon custard pie filling is made without eggs, instead being made with instant pudding mix.
- The filling is a combination of cream cheese, heavy whipping cream and instant pudding mix. When combined with fresh lemon zest and fresh lemon juice, this easy lemon pie tastes just like an old fashioned lemon cream pie recipe.
- While I opted for a nilla wafer/golden oreo crust, you could easily substitute a graham cracker crust instead.
Tips & Tricks for this No Bake Lemon Cream Pie Recipe:
- The lemon pie filling will be a little bit on the loose side. Yes, it should hold together when sliced, but it won’t be as firm as a traditional lemon custard pie.
- This lemon pie recipe calls for instant vanilla pudding, not lemon pudding. I find the lemon flavor in the instant pudding mix to be too artificial. Additionally, do not follow the directions on the pudding box. We will be using a different liquid ratio in this recipe.
- As mentioned earlier, you can make/use whatever crust you like. I did a golden oreo/vanilla wafer crust, but you could do all golden oreos, all vanilla wafers, or a graham cracker crust. Technically, you could also do a shortbread or pastry crust; however, you will need to bake the crusts beforehand.
- Definitely use fresh lemon juice and lemon zest. Lemon extract will not give the same fresh and bright flavor. You will need a lot of lemon zest for this recipe, but it is well worth it! The zest gives the bright lemon flavor without giving the pie too much tang. You will probably need about 2-3 large lemons or 3-4 medium sized lemons.
- You will need to chill this recipe for at least 3-4 hours.
Be still my lemon loving heart. If you’re loving lemon and need a few more lemon options (because who doesn’t L-O-V-E options??), might I suggest this Lemon Bundt Cake, this Strawberry Lemon Pie or these Coconut Lemon Bars.
- 1 cup vanilla wafer cookies
- 1 cup golden oreos
- 8 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 Tbsps fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 Tbsp lemon zest (depending upon how lemony you want it)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3.4 oz box instant vanilla pudding
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- With a food processor, combine vanilla wafers and golden oreos and pulse until they are fine crumbs. Add in melted butter and pulse until combined.
- Press the crust into a 9” or 10” pie plate and set aside.
- Whip heavy cream with a standing mixer or hand held mixer until soft peaks form. Add in lemon juice, lemon zest and powdered sugar. Continue whipping until stiff peaks form and it reaches the consistency of whipped cream. Set aside.
- Whisk milk, lemon juice and instant pudding together until well combined. Allow it to sit a couple of minutes, until the pudding has thickened up (it will be very thick). Mix in lemon zest, cream cheese and powdered sugar, mixing until well combined.
- Fold half of the whipped cream into the lemon pudding mix. Once combined, pour the filling into your prepared crust.
- Top the pie with the remaining whipped cream.
- Chill for at least 3-4 hours.
Here are some other cream pies you might love: