This post has been sponsored by Tyson Foods, Inc. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make A Latte Food possible!
This Herb, Bacon and Egg Strata is an easy breakfast casserole recipe perfect for any holiday breakfast or brunch! Sourdough bread, fresh herbs, cheese, and Wright® Brand Bacon are the simple ingredients that give this breakfast strata its incredible flavor! We love making this for Christmas morning!
You can find all of these ingredients, including Tyson products, at your local Kroger, and if you purchase a participating product at your local Kroger®, Tyson Foods, Inc. will donate $1 to Feeding America®.
The holidays are approaching quickly. And if you’ve known me longer than a minute, you know my feelings on the matter very well.
Pure joy. And that, my friends, is an understatement.
For me and my family, we find this season to be incredibly beautiful—punctuated by family gatherings and traditions we hold near and dear to our heart.
Still to this day, despite the fact my family has grown in both age and numbers, we still all get together at my parents’ home to celebrate Christmas together. Christmas morning always begins with early morning stockings followed by a big breakfast full of comfort food, including this Herb, Bacon and Egg Strata.
We love this breakfast strata because it’s the perfect combination of flavor and simplicity, making it our favorite go-to Christmas breakfast recipe.
While the adults are perfectly content simply enjoying our time and conversation with one another, the kids are anxiously awaiting the presents. As such, we love putting together a meal we can all enjoy together while also keeping things simple enough that the kids don’t have to wait too long for the gifts.
One of the reasons I love this Herb, Bacon and Egg Breakfast Strata is because it can be made either the day of or a day ahead of time. It’s convenient, versatile and full of warm winter flavors that can’t be beat.
One of the main ingredients in this recipe is Wright® Brand Bacon. I love all flavors of Wright® Brand Bacon, but the Applewood flavor is my favorite. It has this sweet yet smoky flavor that pairs perfectly with the blend of herbs and cheese in this recipe.
The more flavorful the bacon is, the fewer other ingredients I have to use in my recipes which leads to less time in the kitchen and more availability to spend time with my loved ones over our meals. With the hand-trimmed, thick cut, naturally smoked Wright® Brand Bacon, this easy breakfast strata is packed with flavor.
Tips & Tricks for this Herb, Bacon and Egg Strata recipe:
- You can make this the day of or the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. If you make this the night before, it will have more time to soak up all of the liquid, giving it more of a bread pudding-like consistency. If you make it the day of, the bread won’t be as soft but it will still have that egg casserole consistency.
- This recipe calls for only a few ingredients and here are the exact brands and types I recommend: Wright® Brand Bacon, shredded cheese (I used an Italian blend), eggs, milk, sourdough bread, and a blend of spices. I love the sourdough bread here, as it has a nice flavor and texture.
- For this strata, you really do want a crusty bread (hence the sourdough) but you could substitute a french bread or crusty baguette.
Breakfast is served.
- 9 cups sourdough bread, cubed cubed
- 8 slices Wright® Brand Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh thyme (thyme leaves removed from the sprig)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, roughly chopped (rosemary needles removed from the sprig)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used an Italian blend)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9x13 (or there about) baking dish. Set aside.
In a bowl, toss sourdough bread, cooked bacon, thyme, rosemary and 1 cup of cheese together. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish and spread in an even layer.
Whisk together milk, eggs, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder until well combined (I did this with a blender). Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes or covered overnight (if you are making ahead).
Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese over the top of the dish.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted in the center and comes out clean. If the top of the strata is browning too quickly, tent a piece of foil over the top and continue cooking until the rest of the dish is done.
Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Don’t forget, for every purchase of a participating product at your local Kroger®, Tyson® will donate $1 to Feeding America®!