These homemade berry biscuits are buttery, flaky, and perfect when slathered with sweet jam! These mixed berry biscuits are filled with fresh blueberries and raspberries, and they have a hint of lemon flavor that adds a bright and fresh flavor to these homemade biscuits!
Weekend breakfasts are some of my favorite times of the week. Usually, I don’t eat anything different from what I eat during the week, but there is always the possibility of making a nice, comforting meal, which usually includes something like Greek Yogurt Pancakes or Breakfast Taquitos.
Even though my work schedule is fairly relaxed throughout the week, Saturday and Sunday signify two days devoid of work, allowing more time to dedicate to a special breakfast.
This past weekend, I decided to skip my usual choice of Life cereal (do you know they now make a maple flavor?!) and put together a meal of homemade biscuits and jam. And, of course, coffee was involved. But, if you know me at all, that goes without saying.
There’s nothing like a lazy Saturday morning filled with homemade lattes and homemade mixed berry biscuits. Seriously—all the heart eyes.
Biscuits are one of my absolute favorite foods. I worked at a camp a couple of summers ago that was situated in the mountains right above this teeny-tiny little hamlet of a town, which had this amazing hole-in-the-wall restaurant that served the best biscuits. Wednesday morning breakfasts at this camp left little to be desired, so it became a ritual with my staff to head down the mountain and feast at this place. For $4.95, I got a biscuit, coffee, eggs, and homestyle potatoes. I seriously miss that place and its prices. Ah, the good ‘ol days.
Although those biscuits were plain, these mixed berry biscuits have a similar consistency. They are flaky, soft, and perfect with sweet jam.
These biscuits are definitely more rustic in nature, but that’s what’s so great about biscuits. They are perfectly imperfect.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a small bowl, mix blueberries, raspberries, lemon juice and zest.
- Add the fruit mixture into the dry mixture, folding gently.
- Gently fold in the cream, just until mixed. The dough will look lumpy, which is the right consistency (You do not want to over mix the dough, otherwise the biscuits will be tough).
- Lightly flour your counter or a piece of parchment paper and gently knead the dough into a square (the biscuits should have a 1-inch thickness).
- Using a knife, divide the dough into 6 squares and transfer to a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with jam and coffee.