Greek Yogurt Waldorf Salad: This spin on the classic Waldorf Salad uses Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise, lemon juice, and a couple other additional ingredients to give it a fresh new flavor.
There was a time when I would have told Greek yogurt to go take a long hike down a cliff. When it first started to grow in popularity, I just couldn’t stand it. It was thick and had a weird texture in comparison to regular yogurt. Plus, it was such a buzz word. People were Greek yogurt-ing everything (not a word, but go with me here), and I was perfectly content with my regular style of yogurt.
But, I soon started noticing recipes that used Greek yogurt as a healthy swap, and I was intrigued. So, to make a really long, uninteresting story short, as you can see from this muffin recipe and this one too, I’ve gotten over my Greek yogurt phobia. I even eat the stuff on its own now–not every brand, because I am ridiculously picky about the flavor and texture (I’m even rolling my eyes at myself here)–and I like it. A lot. Yoplait’s Mocha flavor? Killer.
So today, I’m taking a page out of my mom’s handbook today and sharing with you this incredible Waldorf Salad that uses Greek yogurt instead of the traditional mayonnaise. I’m not opposed to mayonnaise as a whole, but I do have a weird thing about it being mixed with fruit, which is part of the reason I’ve never been a Waldorf fan.
But my mom introduced me to the wonders of a Waldorf dressed with Greek yogurt and topped off with a pinch of nutmeg, and let me tell you, it rocked my Waldorf world.
If the whole mayonnaise-apple combo freaks you out too, you HAVE to try this version (only if you want to, of course 🙂 ). It just might make you change your opinion on the Waldorf.
- 3 cups apples, chopped, about 3-4 medium apples (I used Honey Crisp apples)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped (walnuts or almonds can be substituted)
- 1/4 cup dried cherries (or raisins)
- 1/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt (I prefer my salad dressed lightly, but you can add more if you prefer it with more)
- zest of a medium lemon
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- In a large bowl toss apples, celery, pecans, and cherries together. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt with lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, honey, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Pour dressing over the fruit mixture, and stir until coated.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Check out my other salad recipes: