Light and Healthy Chicken Salad Recipe ~ This quick and easy chicken salad recipe is low-calorie, can be made ahead of time, and perfect on a sandwich or as an appetizer!
It’s the perfect recipe for those of you who are sticking strong to your health-related New Year’s resolutions (anyone out there?!). Or, if you’re like me and have had a bit of a bumpy stretch already (guys, I’m going to be transparent here—I LOVE dessert), this chicken salad recipe can help you get back on track.
With this recipe, you can have your cake and eat it too (literally, because it’s so light and healthy there’s plenty of room for cake).
Now, I don’t know about you, but I am a huge sucker for a good chicken salad sandwich (I hope you guys are too!). There used to be this amazing bagel shop near where I lived, and their chicken salad on a sourdough bagel was to-die for! Unfortunately, the place was sold and the owners took their chicken salad recipe with them, leaving me to wish I had ordered it more often (because once a week apparently was not enough for me).
But, this story ends on a good note! While this chicken salad is not an exact replica of the recipe, it is pretty close to it. The secret ingredient? Spicy brown mustard. The little zing in the mustard totally amps up the flavor without adding too many extra calories. It’s a win/win situation.
This recipe is incredibly versatile as well. You can substitute any ingredients you have on into the recipe, double or triple the recipe, and even make the recipe ahead of time.
You can serve it up anyway you like it as well. If you’re low-carbing it, you can serve this salad over lettuce. If you’re gluten-free, put this salad on rice chips. Eat by itself or on a slice of bread. Or, if you want to join me in having the best sandwich in the world, put on a toasted sourdough bagel. See? You can literally do anything you want with it.
I know. It’s so easy!
- 2 cups chicken cooked and diced
- 1/4 cup celery diced
- 1/4 cup green grapes cut in half
- 1/4 cup red grapes cut in half
- 1/4 cup almonds sliced
- 2 Tbsp Greek Yogurt plain* (or light mayonnaise)
- 2 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- optional add ins or substitutions: diced red onion, diced carrots, raisins, etc.
- In a large bowl, mix chicken, celery, green and red grapes, and almonds together. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together Greek yogurt (or mayo) and spicy brown mustard with all seasonings.
- Pour dressing over chicken mixture and stir until coated.
- Serve with crackers, on lettuce, or bread.
This post first appeared over at Julie’s Eats & Treats where I’m a contributor.
Here are some other quick and easy recipes: