This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. Thank you to my sponsors who allow me to cook with my favorite products! #EverydayEffortless #CollectiveBias
Barbecue Chicken Salad: This flavorful salad is packed with the works: Tyson Grilled & Ready Chicken Fillets, Birds Eye Southwestern Protein Blend, pepper jack cheese, avocado, tortilla strips, tomatoes, and barbecue sauce. Quick, easy, and oh-so-delish!
I mean, this salad is packed with the works—the works, I tell you–because, let’s be honest, salads are alllllll about the toppings. Does anyone order a salad for the lettuce? Or for everything on top of the salad?
I think it’s safe to say that most of us want the toppings. And the dressing, because, umm, barbecue sauce? Enough said.
But that’s not even the best part of this salad. Sure, it tastes amazing, which is a fringe benefit, but the absolute best part of this is the fact it takes less than 15 minutes to put together!
It is the quintessential summer meal!
If the fact that this salad tastes like a winner and only takes 15 minutes to put together hasn’t sold you on this summer essential, I think I should also point out that it doesn’t require the use of an oven either.
Basically, you now have absolutely no reason not to make this salad.
In all seriousness though, this salad is perfect for the summer months, as it is quick yet flavorful, healthy, and full of fresh ingredients. Because the summer season is usually chocked full of sporting events, vacations, day trips, and all-around fun activities, having a nutritious meal you can put together at a moment’s notice is one for the books (cookbooks, that is).
In breaking down this salad, I used Tyson Grilled & Ready Chicken Fillets. When it comes to balancing convenience with health, it is really important to me to find products that are all-natural. While the chicken can be reheated in the microwave (as it is already fully cooked), I chose to heat in the skillet, slicing it into thin strips once warmed.
Next, I used Birds Eye Southwestern Protein Blend, which is a combination of grains, black beans, corn, and red bell peppers. They steam in the bag, add tons of flavor to the salad, and are incredibly nutritious.
About the rest of the ingredients, starting with the cheese component, I opted for pepper jack cheese. I like the subtle kick pepper jack has in it, as it adds a nice additional flavor to the salad. Feel free to use any cheese you have on hand though.
Apart from the barbecue sauce dressing, the last ingredients I used were tomatoes, avocados, and tortilla strips. Can a salad even be deemed worthy if it’s missing avocado and tomato? Not in my book. 🙂
- 1 12oz bag of lettuce (any type is fine--butter, romaine, iceberg, etc.)
- 2 Tyson Grilled & Ready Chicken Fillets
- 1 12 oz bag of Birds Eye Southwestern Protein Blend
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese shredded (whatever shredded cheese you have on hand is fine)
- 1 cup avocado diced
- 1 cup tortilla strips
- Barbecue Sauce
- Follow the instructions on the Birds Eye Protein Blend package, and steam the mix in the microwave.
- While it's steaming, over medium-low heat, warm the chicken fillets in a skillet. Once heated through, slice into thin strips. (There are directions on the back of the package, as well as directions for microwaving the chicken if that method is preferred).
- Once the protein blend and chicken are ready, divide the lettuce between four large salad bowls or salad plates.
- Divide all ingredients equally among the four salad bowls, drizzle with barbecue sauce, and enjoy!
If you like this recipe, here are some other savory recipes you might be interested in: