This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. A big thank you for supporting the brands and companies that help make A Latte Food possible! #PurelySimple #CollectiveBias
Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake: Purely Simple cake mix makes this stunning double chocolate chip cookie cake incredibly simple to put together!
And! And! And! (Sorry, too much? I’m just so excited about this I couldn’t contain myself) This cake has a chocolate chip cookie layer! Two layers of Purely Simple chocolate cake sandwich a thick layer of chocolate chip cookie.
It makes a great dessert, and an even better mid-morning snack (don’t ask me how I know that), because cake and cookies should always be combined. Always.
With ice cream. It’s a fact of life.
Plus, guys, this cake is super simple to make! I promise. It’s pure chocolate heaven.
If you’ve been here before, you know I have a wee bit of an obsession with cake. I happen to find baking cakes extremely therapeutic, and I love making them from scratch, partly because I like knowing exactly what ingredients are going into my cakes.
But, from-scratch cakes can be extremely time consuming, and often fairly expensive, which is why boxed cake mix can be a lifesaver. Pillsbury just released a new line of boxed products at Target called, Purely Simple, and the title reflects the nature of these products, as they have no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives–so you know exactly what ingredients are in your cake!
This cake, apart from the filling, is made entirely with Purely Simple products! Even though this cake looks like you slaved away for hours in the kitchen, it truly is a simple yet stunning cake to put together.
Step 1: Mix Purely Simple cake mix with softened butter, milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and pinch of espresso powder. Mix Purely Simple cookie mix with softened butter and egg.
Step 2: Pour chocolate cake batter into 2 greased 9″ cake pans. Press cookie dough into 1 greased 9″ cake pan. Bake cake for 27-30 minutes at 350 degrees. Bake the cookie layer at 350 for 20-21 minutes.
Step 3: Beat heavy cream with a mixer until stiff peaks are formed. Lay one of the layers of cake on a cake stand, and spread with 3 Tbsp of natural chocolate hazelnut spread and top with 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Sprinkle with crushed crunchy cookie pieces (store bought cookies are fine). Top with cookie layer, and repeat the filling steps. Top with the final layer of cake.
Step 4: Beat Purely Simple frosting mix with butter and water. Carefully spread the frosting over the top and around the sides of the cake.
Step 5: Pipe the remaining heavy cream on top of the cake, and decorate with crushed cookies.
Step 6: Eat. Enjoy. Repeat.
Yields 12-14 Large Slices
This delicious cake has chocolate cake and chocolate chip cookie layers, is filled with chocolate hazelnut spread and whipped cream, and topped with creamy chocolate frosting and crushed chocolate chip cookies. | www.alattefood.com
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
- 1 box Purely Simple Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder (optional--enhances the flavor of chocolate)
- 1 box Purely Simple Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 box Purely Simple Chocolate Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream (makes about 2 cups of whipped cream)
- 6 Tbsp natural chocolate-hazelnut spread
- 4 Tbsp crushed chocolate chip cookie crumbs, store bought
- Whipped Cream
- Crushed Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease three 9" cake pans with cooking spray.
- Beat butter and cake mix with a mixer (the batter will be thick). Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in milk, espresso powder, and vanilla extract; mix until combined.
- Divide batter evenly between two cake pans.
- Bake for 27-30 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Beat butter and cookie mix until combined. Add in egg and beat until combined.
- Press cookie dough in an even layer into one cake pan.
- Bake for 20-21 minutes, or until just golden brown on top.
- Beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Place bottom cake layer onto a cake stand. Spread with 3 Tbsp of chocolate-hazelnut spread, making sure to leave 1/4" border around the sides of the cake. Top with 3/4 cup of whipped cream, also leaving a 1/4" border around the sides of the cake (when the cookie layer is added, the weight will push the filling to the edges). Add 2 Tbsp crushed cookie crumbs on top of the cream.
- Place the cookie layer on top, and repeat the filling steps above.
- Place the final layer of chocolate cake on top.
- Beat frosting mix with butter (mixture will be thick). Slowly pour in water and vanilla, and beat until well combined.
- Spread frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
- With the remaining 1/2 cup of cream, pipe dollops of whipped cream around the top of the cake.
- If desired, top with cookie crumbs.
Because of the whipped cream in this recipe, refrigerate until serving.
As mentioned earlier, Purely Simple products can be found at Target! With Target’s Cartwheel app, you can save 25% on Purely Simple products while the offer lasts! So, what’s the next cake you’re going to make with these Purely Simple cake mixes?