This easy zucchini apple crumb bread recipe is the perfect fall dessert! Filled with fresh apples and zucchini and topped with a brown sugar cinnamon crumb topping, this quick bread recipe is a fall staple!
I’ve always loved the idea of having my own vegetable and herb garden. When I picture it in my mind, I see myself pulling an Ina Garten and heading outside to grab my gorgeous, homegrown herbs to sprinkle over my fancy dishes.
Yeah. There’s a little bit of a disconnect between my imagination and reality. Not only am I slightly green-thumb impaired (so, obviously, right off the bat we can assume my garden will never look like Ina’s), my idea of a fancy meal is using a different cheese besides cheddar on my stovetop mac and cheese recipe (clearly, I’m more of a casual, comfort-food kind of girl).
So, no, the zucchini in this recipe is not homegrown (for those of you with zucchini gardens, teach me your ways! But really though…), but the mixture of the fresh zucchini with the sweet apples makes this quick bread recipe a total crowd pleaser.
And that crumb topping! Am I right?! It’s a pretty similar recipe to the one I used on this coffee cake banana bread, and it was my greatest decision all week long.
I’m not even joking.
I have a bit of a thing for sweet and simple breads. Whenever I’m in a cafe or coffee shop, my willpower gets a workout as I try to refrain from tacking on a muffin, a small slice of lemon loaf cake, or pound cake (okay, okay, I know pound cake is technically a cake rather than a bread, but when it’s shaped like a bread loaf, I’m calling it a bread so I can justify my dessert later 😉 ).
And, because there are apples in this ‘lil baby, I totally had a slice of this breakfast. Oatmeal’s got nothing on you, Zucchini Apple Crumb Bread.
It’s sweet, has a nice crunch from the cinnamon brown sugar topping, and takes only a few minutes to whip up the batter. I’m pretty sure I hear this recipe calling your name. 😉
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup chopped apples
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp cubed butter cold
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 bread pan. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over med-low heat, cook chopped apples with 2 Tbsp of brown sugar, 1 Tbsp butter, and 1 tsp of cinnamon, for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until apples have begun to soften. Pull off heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a another bowl, mix oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla extract together.
- Making a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Add in grated zucchini (zucchini is a very wet vegetable, so try to pat off as much excess water as possible with a paper towel before adding to the batter) and cooled apples. Fold into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared bread pan.
- Combine cinnamon, flour, and brown sugar. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter, and mix until the topping looks like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle coating evenly over the batter.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean (My oven took exactly 55 minutes; around the 40-minute mark, I usually cover the bread with a piece of foil to keep the top from browning too much).
- Allow bread to cool before removing from pan.
This first appeared on Julie’s Eats and Treats where I am a contributor.
Here are some other bread favorites:
Kaylene @ The Links Site says
Oh my goodness this looks so good! It is coming into the warmer weather here in Australia so I can’t wait to pick some fresh zucchini from the garden and make this – thanks for sharing!
Amy @ Little Dairy on the Prairie says
Yes! That crumb topping was a good decision! My boys would pick it all off! I happen to have a few more zucchinis…this bread needs to happen!
Patricia @ Grab a Plate says
This is hitting my sweet tooth, hard! I love this recipe. Your photos are amazing, and I just want to dive into that crumb topping!
carrie @ frugal foodie mama says
Wish I had a slice of this with my morning coffee right now! 🙂 What a perfect bread for fall.
Renee - Kudos Kitchen says
I always picture myself in an Ina-esque garden too. Sadly, it never happens. However, I’ll bet Ina would be jealous of your zucchini apple crumb bread. It looks crazy good!
eat good 4 life says
I need to start incorporating some zucchini to my dessert recipes. I love zucchini
I love this bread! Perfect for the Fall!
Deb Terrette says
I just made this!Excellent!I didn’t put all the crumb topping on though. It was a little too much!
I’m so glad you liked it, Deb! I definitely have a thing for crumb topping 😂