These homemade apple pie cupcakes are a light, fluffy cake filled with gooey apple pie filling and topped with a whipped cream frosting!
When it comes to taking trips or going on vacations, I’m typically pretty on top of things and can pack a bag like a champ.
However, I’m not the best un-packer. With the trip in the past and trying to get back into normal life, my bags tend to sit there in my closet until…well, until I need something in there. This continues until I have emptied the contents entirely from necessity.
It’s not the best system in the world, but I don’t break habits easily. (I guess that means I’m not a quitter? Or, just stubborn…)
These cupcakes were made back in June, but I had been waiting to post them until the fall season had begun. Technically, fall isn’t for a couple more weeks, but, whatevs. If pumpkin spice lattes are available at pretty much every coffee shop by early September, then fall is in season.
These were a Father’s Day gift, because, for my dad, there is nothing greater than the apple. Nothing. So, it’s safe to say, these were a big hit.
Rich vanilla cake stuffed with gooey, cinnamon-y apple pie filling, topped with a whipped cream frosting = pure goodness. You’ll totally be falling for it.
When cake meets apple pie, all of your wildest dreams come true.
Or something like that.
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 large apples chopped finely
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz whipped cream cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- With a mixer, cream butter until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Add in granulated sugar and cream until well combined, about 1 minute. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together.
- Alternately, add dry ingredients and buttermilk to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Add in vanilla extract and sour cream and mix until combined.
- Divide batter evenly between cupcake liners, filling each about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- On med-low heat, cook apple filling mixture for about 3-4 minutes. Pull off heat and allow to cool. (Set aside about 1/2 cup of filling for the topping).
- With a pairing knife, cut out a circle in the center of the cup cake, going about half way down into the cupcake.
- Fill each cupcake with the apple pie filling, then place the cake tops back on top.
- Beat heavy cream on high until soft peaks form. Add in powdered sugar and vanilla extract, and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add in whipped cream cheese, 2 oz at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Spread frosting over each each cupcake. Top with a small amount of apple filling.
Favorite products I used in this recipe:
Here are some of my other favorite apple recipes: