Sweet banana bread meets apple pie and makes the best fall dessert! Topped with a cinnamon vanilla glaze, this apple pie banana bread is pretty delish!
It’s that time of the year again!
The time I try not to spend all of my Christmas-shopping-for-others-adventures actually shopping for myself (I know, it’s October, but I’m a Christmas gift planner–it’s probably the only thing I do plan in advance…).
Why is it that when you’re shopping for yourself, you find NOTHING, but when it comes time to shop for others, everything you’ve ever needed (wanted) is on sale.
And, of course, there’s only one left, giving you absolutely no time to decide if there’s any other option besides buying it. Stat.
The struggle, guys.
Oh, it’s real.
So, basically, on top of my excessive Christmas spending, I bought myself 4 sweaters, 3 cupcakes, 2 pairs of boots, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Or something like that.
My sad little bank account could use a Christmas miracle.
Who wants baked goods (like this apple pie banana bread) as their Christmas gift!
(Obviously, this is not at all related to my shopping habits…)
The other struggle in my life was trying not to eat this loaf in its entirety. I’m pretty much a compulsive banana bread eater already so when you add in homemade apple pie filling and a sweet, sugary glaze, all bets are off.
Perhaps I should just give this as Christmas gifts this year…
Food just might be the best gift on the planet.
Look at that glaze. Heart eye emojis all. the. way.
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3-4 medium bananas or 2 large bananas
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large apple diced into small pieces
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp milk or heavy cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease two 8x4 pans.
- On med-low heat, cook apple filling mixture for about 3-4 minutes. Pull off heat and allow to cool.
- In a small bowl, mash bananas. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in vanilla extract, and mix.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Add in mashed bananas and cooled apple filling, and mix until combined. Pour into prepared loaf pans, dispersing the batter evenly between the two.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs stuck to it.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Move to a wire cooling rack.
- Mix together powdered sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and 1 1/2 Tbsp of milk or heavy cream. If the glaze is thicker than your desired preference, add in the last 1/2 Tbsp of milk or heavy cream.
- Pour the glaze evenly over both loaves. Allow the glaze to harden completely before cutting into slices.
Here are some of my other favorite bread recipes: