Homemade Peppermint Mocha: It only takes five minutes ’til you’re in pure peppermint mocha bliss. Top with peppermint whipped cream and it’s practically Christmas in a cup.
I’d love to say that this was my first peppermint mocha of the season, buuut that would be a giant lie. You see, ever since I was introduced to this minty drink of pure indulgence, I’ve been ordering it off and on throughout the non-holiday season because–wait for it–Starbs totally has peppermint syrup year around. The day I found this out might have been the greatest day of my life.
Seriously. Peppermint mochas are life.
On a side note, I really don’t understand the mystery behind Starbs having peppermint syrup year around but rarely having coconut syrup in stock at any time. It’s confusing. And displeasing. Sometimes a girl just wants a mocha coconut for a little tropical vacation of the mouth. Apart from that one summer like 3 years ago, they’ve been denying me Tahiti. It’s a straight up conspiracy.
And because I’m weird like this, I’m sometimes terrified Starbys will stop stocking up on the peppermint syrup and I’ll be minty-less on the days I need a Christmas-spirit pick-me-up the most.
Umm, so this homemade five-minute peppermint mocha (that I can make ANY time I want) seriously rocked my world.
Ever since I tried my hand at homemade pumpkin spice lattes (with pumpkin whipped cream–I kid you not on that whipped pumpkin heaven), I’ve been all about whipping up (pun definitely intended since you know, milk is whipped to make it latte-ish–that one’s for you, Dad) homemade lattes.
And let me tell you, this was straight up one of the easiest things to make. Ever. In life. Just like these. And this. And now I’ll be making it all the time. And maybe with hot chocolate. And real candy canes. Or Andes mint chips–can you even imagine how insane that’d taste?! The possibilities are endless.
But for this particular recipe, I opted for peppermint extract because I had it on hand. You could totally substitute Torani peppermint syrup for the extract if you happen to have it on hand. If you don’t, peppermint extract will be your lifelong bff.
So, to make this fella, you start by microwaving (or stoving) the milk and peppermint extract. Once the milk is hot and steaming (but not boiling), add in cocoa powder and granulated sugar, and whisk until the milk is frothy. Pour over an espresso shot and you have yourself a pepperminty, five-minute mocha.
If you so choose to make peppermint whipped cream (and it just might be your best decision ever), with a mixer, whip the cream until it becomes thick. Add in peppermint extract and powdered sugar. Whip until mixed. That is all.
This easy homemade peppermint mocha comes together in just 5 minutes! A perfect Starbucks peppermint mocha copycat recipe!
- 1 cup milk, anykind but whole works best
- 1/4 cup strong coffee or espresso
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/8-1/4 tsp peppermint extract, depending upon your minty preference--I used around 1/8
- Winter sprinkles
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Chocolate Syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp peppermint extract
- With a mixer, whip heavy cream until it thickens into a whipped cream consistency, about 5-6 minutes. Add in powdered sugar and peppermint extract. Mix until combined.
- In the microwave (or stove) heat milk and peppermint extract until hot and steaming (but not boiling), about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in cocoa powder and sugar and whip with a whisk until the milk is foamy, about 30 seconds to a minute.
- In a mug with a 1/4 c of espresso, pour in the frothed milk. Top with whipped cream, mini chips, winter sprinkles, and chocolate syrup.