This Nutella Banana Bread is one my favorite quick bread recipes! The addition of Nutella gives a nutty, chocolate flavor to my favorite classic banana bread recipe!
There once was a time when I didn’t like Nutella.
I know. Seriously, what was wrong with me?
And the worst part? I’d never even tried it. I was a Nutella-hater without any good reason, and I am ashamed of myself. It wasn’t until I found out that those amazing Ferrero Rochers that I endlessly beg, badger, and obnoxiously hint to make an appearance in my stocking each year were practically the same thing as Nutella.
Aaaand then it got real. I’m pretty sure I made up for all my non-Nutella years in one day. You don’t even want to know how much Nutella I’ve consumed since my discover. Nutella Stuffed Donut Holes, Strawberry Nutella Turnovers, Nutella White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Bars…
Sooo much shame, but absolutely no regret.
After my eyes were opened, I had to put Nutella in my favorite banana bread, which, coincidentally is my mom’s recipe.
It’s the best.
No questions asked.
While I sometimes think you should never mess with a good thing, when it comes to this banana bread and adding in some form of chocolate, I threw caution to the wind and said “oh yeah.”
And boy, was I ever right.
I used Nutella, because I figured the nutty chocolateness would lend a perfect match of flavorings with the banana bread. I am not one for nuts in my banana bread–the whole eating something soft and then biting something hard and jarring really throws me off–but I like nut flavor, so the nuttiness in Nutella I thought would work well. And, who doesn’t love bananas and chocolate? So really, Nutella was the obvious choice for this recipe.
The Nutella is only swirled on the top, because Nutella is such a strong flavor. I didn’t want it to overpower the banana bread. You could easily swirl the Nutella throughout the entire bread if you wanted to though.
Getting down to the cooking business, this is a very easy recipe. You cream together the butter, sugar, and eggs. Mix the flour and baking soda. Mash the bananas in brown sugar and vanilla. Swirl in the Nutella. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Voila! Done.
Oh, happy day.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3-4 bananas (or 2 cups mashed bananas)
- 4 Tbsp Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350. This recipe makes two small loaves (8x4) or one large loaf (9x5).
- Cream butter and white sugar 'til combined. Then add eggs (one at a time).
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mash bananas with brown sugar. Once mashed and slightly liquidy, add the vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until just combined.
- Next, add the mashed bananas and stir well.
- Pour into two small loaf pans (already greased).
- Swirl 2 Tbsp of Nutella in each pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
Here are some other banana recipes you might love: