Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies: These homemade red velvet cookies are chocolatey, chewy, and intensely red! Mixed with white chocolate chips, semi-sweet chips, and blue M&Ms, these delicious cookies are the perfect addition to your 4th of July party!
Now, my family has always been big on holidays. We are BIG fans of Christmas, Thanksgiving (all of the glorious food–how could you not?!), and Easter. We love not just what each holiday represents, but also that we can share the holiday together as a family.
Usually when we all get together, someone (*cough* my brother *cough*) suggests we pull out our family videos. It was during one of those times my family realizes just how much we loved the 4th.
We stumbled across a recording from the mid-90s we hadn’t seen in years, that detailed my brother, sister, and I all performing patriotic songs, poems, and reciting the pledge of allegiance. Apparently 4th grade was a big year in US History for my brother, and unfortunately for us, we have it all on tape.
There was a whole lot of embarrassment going on in that video.
Our 4th of July’s definitely don’t look like that anymore (although with my niece and nephew getting older, who knows??). Instead, they look a whole lot like barbecues, Berry Vanilla Naked Cakes, Peach Raspberry Lemonades, and these festive Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies.
These Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies are chewy yet soft, and incredibly rich and chocolatey.
I used my go to chocolate chip cookie recipe, but I just added a few extra ingredients to give these cookies that classic red velvet flavor.
The addition of red, white, and blue M&Ms gives these cookies that extra Independence Day look, but you could definitely omit them and just use chocolate chips.
Worth every single calorie.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp buttermilk
- 2 1/2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 Tbsp liquid red food coloring
- 1/2 cup white chips
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chips
- 1/4 cup red, white, & blue M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- With a mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy, about 30 seconds.
- Add in sugars, and beat until well combined.
- Add in egg, vanilla, and salt. Mix until well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Next, add in buttermilk and mix.
- In a small bowl, mix cocoa powder, flour, and baking soda. Add to the wet ingredients.
- Next, add in red food coloring and mix until the dough is completely red.
- Add in chips and M&Ms, and mix until just combined.
- Scoop out 1-2 Tbsp of dough for each cookie, and place about 2" apart on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes.
- Enjoy with milk!
Here are some other cookie recipes you might love: