Egg White and Avocado Breakfast Sandwich: This protein packed breakfast sandwich is the perfect way to start the morning! Plus, keep scrolling down for the deets about Oroweat® Bread’s “America’s Better Sandwich” contest where you could win $25,000! It’s fun. 🙂
Now, I’ve never experienced this myself, because I really, really like food and all (real shocker there, I’m sure), but I hear there are some people in this world who aren’t hungry for breakfast.
I know, weird, right?
While I’d really like to be able to relate to these people who are not ruled by their stomachs, I’m not sure there has ever been a morning where I’ve thought, “Hmm, I’m not really hungry for breakfast. I think I’ll wait for later.”
Breakfast and coffee. It’s life.
This breakfast sandwich. It’s a thing of dreams.
The bread of choice? Oroweat’s® Oatnut. The bread alone in this sandwich provides 24 grams of whole grains and 4 grams of fiber. I know. It’s filling, full of nutrients, and oh-so-delicious!
And then when topped with avocado, egg whites, and pepper jack cheese? Whoa. Breakfast of champions.
Yields 1 Breakfast Sandwich
This protein packed breakfast sandwich is the perfect way to start the morning!
5 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
- 2 Slices Oroweat® Oatnut Bread, toasted
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 an avocado, mashed
- 1/4 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded (any cheese is fine)
- salt and pepper to taste
- While the bread is toasting, cook the egg whites over med-low heat in a small skillet (like you would a fried egg). Cover with a lid to help the egg whites cook evenly. The egg whites should be cooked in about 2-3 minutes, depending upon your stove. Once cooked, pull off the heat and set aside.
- Spread the mashed avocado on both slices of bread. Top one slice of bread with the egg whites and the other slice with pepper jack cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste, close the sandwich, and enjoy!
Okay, if you’re a sandwich person like me, then this contest was made for you.
There are five categories, as stated in the contest rules:
- “Creative Classics” (nutritious spins on sandwich creations that have stood the test of time, such as grandma’s club sandwich, BLT or other old-time favorites)
- “Fueling Good” (these sandwiches should incorporate ingredients that help boost your energy such as healthful fats, protein, fiber and iron))
- “Open-Face Artistry” (sandwiches are works of art for the world to see, and these snacks and meals announce their ingredients—like sharp cheddar or tasty tuna— sans second slice, highlighting bold colors and textures)
- “Breakfast in Bread” (these sandwiches, featuring nutritious breakfast favorites like eggs and yogurt, invoke images of cozy mornings in bed or boisterous brunches with friends)
- “Love, Healthfully” (celebrate our new Healthfull® Breads with innovative recipes that play off nuanced, foodie-approved ingredients like honey, flax and sunflower seeds)
All sandwiches must include Oroweat® Whole Grain Sliced Breads, including the new Healthfull® bread varieties, or any of the Oroweat® Sandwich Thins® Rolls varieties, as they all have the whole grain stamp of approval. Oroweat® is available all around the US, but is known as Brownberry® Bread in the Midwest and Arnold® in the East.
One recipe from each sandwich category will be selected as the winner, and will receive a $5,000 category prize (plus there is the grand prize winnings of $25,000!).
Entries will be accepted June 15th – August 23rd, online consumer voting will take place September 21st – October 18th, and the winners will be announced on National Sandwich Day- November 3rd.
Lastly, Oroweat® bread will donate one loaf of bread (up to 100,000 loaves) to Feeding America for each valid entry submission during the entry period and vote received during the online voting phase of the 2015 “America’s Better Sandwich” Contest.
Disclosure: The coupons for product redemption, information, and gift card have been provided by Oroweat® Bread so that I could try the product and share my thoughts and information about Oroweat®. The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions of Oroweat® Bread.