Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars: A perfect summer dessert, these creamy lemon cheesecake bars are filled with blueberries and sit atop a lemon shortbread crust. So good you’ll be coming back for seconds!
It just might be the dessert. It has a delicious crust, a creamy middle, and usually something great sitting ontop (like whipped cream, fruit, nuts, chocolate–all the good stuff).
Did you know there is a day dedicated to cheesecake? Because I spent a good 20 years of my life uninformed about this National Day (it’s practically a holiday for me), and ever since, have made it a point to inform everyone I know that National Cheesecake Day is real.
The Cheesecake Factory will back me up on that one. After I found out about this glorious day, my sister, brother-in-law, and I would head to the Cheesecake Factory for a slice of free cheesecake to commemorate this day. If you’ve never been to the Cheesecake Factory, I’ll have you know their cheesecake menu is about the length of my arm. And it’s my life goal to try out every single one of their cheesecakes (I know, I dream big).
As word has gotten out about the free cheesecake on that particular day, the price changed from free to 1/2 price, which is fine, but not nearly as good as free. Am I right, or am I right? In fact, word has gotten out so much about it, it’s far too crowded so we haven’t been the past couple of years.
Instead, I just make my own. Like Stevie Nicks eloquently put it, “You can go your own way.” And I do. I go the way of homemade cheesecake bars. Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars, to be exact. (Or, sometimes, maybe these too…)
In case you guys haven’t noticed, I really like lemon flavor. Given my latest posts of Lemon Tea Cakes, Lemon Sugar Cookies, and my Sugar Cookie Fruit Tarts that have hidden lemon inside of them, you could say I’m a bit of a lemon nut. So, it’s probably no surprise that my cheesecake recipe is for a lemon blueberry cheesecake.
This cheesecake starts with a lemon shortbread crust, which is just flour, sugar, butter, and the zest and juice of a lemon. Then, the filling is just cream cheese, sugar, eggs, lemon juice and zest, and vanilla. No sour cream, milk, etc. And let me tell you, this filling is incredible with just cream cheese.
Then, I added a layer of blueberry jam, blueberries, and whipped cream for extra decadence! Plus, whipped cream hides a multitude of grievances. Cheesecake can crack easily, and a little whipped cream on top makes sure no one will ever know! A little tip from me to you =)
- 1/2 c butter
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 c flour
- 1 tsp lemon zest (zest of about 1/2 medium lemon)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice (juice of about 1/2 a medium lemon)
- 2 8oz packages softened cream cheese
- 1/3 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 c blueberries
- 1/2 c blueberry jam (optional)
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Begin by beating butter, sugar, and zest together until light and creamy. Next, add in lemon juice and mix. Then, slowly add in the flour until the mix is crumbly and mostly combined.
- In an 8x8 pan, press the crust firmly in an even layer that covers the bottom of the pan.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, beat cream cheese with a mixer until light and fluffy. Next, add in the sugar. Mix. Add in eggs and vanilla, mix until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Next, mix in lemon zest and juice. Lastly, fold in bluberries.
- When the crust is done, spoon blueberry jam in a thing layer over the crust. Then, pour in the cream cheese filling and spread in an even layer.
- Cook cheescake for about 25 minutes, or until the cheesecake has set.
- Refrigerate the cheesecake until cold.
- When ready to serve, whip heavy cream until soft peaks begin to form. Add in vanilla and powdered sugar and beat a bit more until the cream is no longer runny. Spread cream cheese over the cheesecake, top with blueberries or lemon slices if desired, and enjoy!
My favorite products used in this recipe:
Here are some other cheesecake recipes I love: