This classic banana bread recipe is topped with a sweet crumb topping making it a cross between a quick bread and coffee cake! Coffee Cake Banana Bread is sure to be a new favorite!
This Coffee Cake Banana Bread recipe is always a crowd pleaser and makes a fantastic holiday dessert!
I feel like there is something important that needs to be discussed here that I’ve been far too silent on.
Traffic is a beast.
A mind-numbing, foot-cramping, irritating beast.
For a while now (like a few years), traffic has been rough, and to help ease the situation, there has been a massive amount of construction happening to widen the freeways… So massive, in fact, it’s been weeks, months, and even years to complete.
While in the long run that might be helpful (at least, one can only hope), currently, it’s just making a bad situation worse.
Much, much worse.
I’m also probably one of the most hopeful people in the entire world, and every time I drive during rush hour, I always hope that maybe–just maybe–this time it will be different.
So far, I’ve only had my hopes dashed, but the dream is still alive.
Luckily, I only drive through rush hour twice a week, but everyone else who drives it five days a week? They deserve a medal.
If I could do it without being ridiculously awkward, I would totally pass out slices of this banana bread while we all slowly trudge through the morning traffic.
If there is one thing I love more than cake, it’s coffee cake crumb topping.
When it comes to crumb toppings, there is absolutely no room for stinginess.
Crumb topping scrooges are not welcome here. (They’re also not welcome here with these Strawberry Crumb Cake Muffins 😉.)
So, in case you were concerned, there is plenty of crumb cake topping on this bread to go around. I may or may not have made a double batch of topping to cover this one loaf of bread.
It was completely necessary.
When you mix my favorite banana bread recipe (aka the one my mom has been making since I was a baby) with my favorite topping of all time, pure magic happens.
I know I talk a lot (a lot) of recipes up (and I whole-heartedly believe every single one of them deserves the attention), but this banana bread recipe IS everything I’ve said and more. It’s sweet, easy, and packed with banana flavor!
This Coffee Cake Banana Bread is a staple in our house! I lovingly refer to it as The Best Banana Bread Ever! 😉
Yields 2 Loaves
This classic banana bread recipe is topped with a sweet crumb topping making it a cross between a quick bread and coffee cake!
25 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
5 based on 2 review(s)
- 3-4 medium or large bananas
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp butter, cold
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease two 8x4 pans.
- In a small bowl, mash bananas, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs and beat until mixed.
- To the wet ingredients, sift in flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir until just combined. Add in sour cream and stir.
- Pour in mashed bananas, and mix until combined.
- Combine cinnamon, flour, and brown sugar. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter, and mix until the topping looks like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle coating evenly over the batter in both pans.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs stuck to it.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Move to a wire cooling rack.
- Slice and enjoy!
My favorite products used in this recipe:
Here are some other favorite banana recipes:
This post contains affiliate links.