This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Mission®. All opinions are entirely my own.
These easy Baked Avocado Chicken Burritos are made with Mission Gluten Free Tortillas, chicken, avocados, cheese, sour cream, and cilantro, then baked to perfection. The perfect weeknight dinner or quick and easy lunch!
A couple of years ago, I was introduced to something entirely life changing and brilliant in all its glory:
A quesadilla burrito.
It’s borderline genius. I mean, everything you know and love about a burrito with the melted cheese and crispy tortilla of a quesadilla. Genius, right?
These Baked Avocado Chicken Burritos are kind of a play off those quesadilla burritos, as they are baked-in-the-oven-burritos, giving them allllll that melty, cheesy goodness no one can possibly resist. 😉
However, there are three things that make these chicken burritos a cut above the rest:
1. They are packed with avocado. Where are my avocado lovers at?!
2. These are gluten-free, made with Mission Gluten Free Tortillas! My family has been watching their gluten intake as of late, and these tortillas have been a lifesaver!
3. They’re ridiculously simple to make. Quick and easy weeknight dinners, get at me.
Okay, technically, there’s a 4th reason to the greatness of these burritos (I just didn’t want to overwhelm you with a list as long as Santa’s as to why these are my favorite things ever).
Ready for it? You can put whatever you want into these burritos.
You could add veggies, beans, or rice into the burrito filling. You could add salsa or use guacamole instead of plain avocado. You could even sub out the chicken and replace it with beef or pork.
While I’m partial to the simplicity of the flavors in these Baked Avocado Chicken Burritos, the ball’s in your court, and you can change up the filling however you want.
All right, so let’s get down to the details of these burritos, namely, Mission Gluten Free Tortillas.
As mentioned above, my family has been watching their gluten intake recently. As such, we have been on a quest to find some of the best gluten-free options that are available, and what I’ve learned with Mission Gluten Free Tortillas is that you don’t always have to sacrifice flavor or quality when adhering to diet restrictions.
Mission Gluten Free Tortillas taste like regular tortillas and have a very similar texture and softness to them. They are wheat-free, certified gluten-free, as well as kosher. Free from trans-fat and cholesterol, these are perfect for any meal, especially when served warm (or hot and toasty out of the oven!).
When it comes to putting this recipe together, it all starts with heating the tortillas properly, as per the instructions on the package.
While you can microwave them to heat them up, I prefer heating them on the stove in an ungreased skillet (as the directions state). Over medium-high heat, warm the tortillas for 10-15 seconds, then flip and heat the other side for 5-10 seconds.
Fill the center of each tortilla with chicken, cheese, avocado, cilantro, and a dollop of sour cream (optional). Roll into burrito form (flipping the two end sides in, then folding the other sides on top of each other). Place seam side down onto a baking sheet, and bake until golden brown.
All the burrito love.
- 6 Mission® Gluten Free Tortillas
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and cubed (or shredded)
- 1 1/2 cups avocado, diced (about 2 medium avocados)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, any kind is fine; I used a blend of cheddar and Monterey Jack
- 6 tbsp sour cream (optional)
- 6 tbsp fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with non-stick foil.
- Heat a skillet over med-high heat, and warm each Mission® Gluten Free Tortilla for about 10-15 seconds on each side.
- Once warmed, fill the center of each tortilla with about 1/2 cup of chicken, 1/4 cup of avocado, 1/4 cup of cheese, 1 tablespoon of sour cream, and 1 tablespoon of cilantro.
- Roll into a burrito (flip/tuck in the ends of the burrito and fold the other sides of the burrito on top of each other).
- Place seam side down onto foil-lined baking sheet, and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the tops of the burritos are golden brown.
- Serve with additional cilantro, sour cream, avocado, and/or salsa.
Don’t forget to visit Mission Gluten Free Tortillas for more recipes and videos. Use their store locator to find out where you can get your own Gluten Free Tortilla!
You can find Mission Gluten Free Tortillas at your local grocery store, and be sure to check them out online for more recipe ideas, a store locator, and videos!