This easy grilled cheese recipe is kicked up a notch with Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore, pesto sauce, and pepper jack cheese! A simple and delicious twist on a classic.
I’m pretty sure you could put some form of cheese on anything and I’d be ready to call it my next comfort food favorite.
I love cheese, plain and simple.
One of my favorite meals when I was a kid was a tuna melt. I love the flavor of the tuna on toasted sourdough bread topped with cheese–not only does it remind me of childhood, it’s also pure comfort food.
To revamp the classic tuna melt dinner idea, I opted to add in some pesto, white cheddar cheese, top it with another slice of bread (because more cheese), and grill it. Not to pat myself on the back too much here, but it was a great idea. 🙂
Of course, back in the day, I wouldn’t be caught dead with any other cheese on my melt besides mild cheddar, but, thankfully, I joined a support group for that and no longer discriminate against other cheeses.
What makes this tuna grilled cheese is the type of tuna you use. Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore in Water is not only a great source of a lean protein, it also has an incredibly fresh taste. With it’s nutritional value (and you can more nutritional info here) and quality taste, it’s a pantry staple.
If you try out this recipe, you’ll see why “Only Bumble Bee® Albacore Will Do!”
- 4 slices thick sourdough bread
- 2 Tbsp butter softened
- 2 Tbsp basil pesto
- 1 5 oz can Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore Tuna
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese any other cheese can be substituted
- On each slice of bread, spread 1/2 Tbsp of butter, making sure the whole piece of bread is covered evenly. Flip the bread over so that the buttered side is facing down.
- Gently mix Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore Tuna with pesto, until it is well combined.
- Divide the tuna pesto mixture evenly between two slices of bread. Top each with 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese and place the remaining two slices of bread on top.
- On a greased and preheated skillet over medium heat, cook each side of the sandwich about 2-3 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted*.
*To lighten this up, you may omit grilling the sandwich with butter and instead using a toaster oven to toast the sandwich.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.