Nutella Kit Kat Puppy Chow: Rice Chex cereal is coated in melted chocolate, Nutella, and crushed Kit Kat bars to create the most addictive chocolatey snack. Ever. This stuff is dangerous.
I just made possibly the best and worst thing in the entire world.
Kit Kats are the stuff of dreams. Chocolate. Wafers. Amazingness. They’re completely out of this world and entirely underrated. I always forget they even exist until Halloween comes around and they’re just chilling in the batch of leftover candy. Like clockwork, every year I grab one of the leftover Kit Kats and am blown away by the flavor.
And this year, I may or may not have broken into the Halloween candy bag a little early.
I have no self-control.
Anyway, the giant bag of temptation was sitting next to a box of Chex cereal (funny how things work out like that) and this addictive Nutella Kit Kat Puppy Chow was born.
And oh my gosh–it’s so good it’s obnoxious.
I can’t say that indefinitely because I haven’t tried every combination possible, and my Sea Salted Nutella Peanut Puppy Chow is good enough to make you want to cry tears of joy that things like that even exist, but the combination of Kit Kat, Nutella, and Rice Chex is just fantastic.
Not to talk it up too much, but it’s just one of those snacks where you think you’ll just eat a few handfuls and suddenly your hand is searching an empty bowl.
Umm, how did that happen?
This recipe is simple. Like really, really simple.
The hardest part is melting the chocolate, which really isn’t that hard at all unless you’re like me and forget about it. Then it burns and seizes and it’s terrible.
Over a double broiler, or in the microwave in 20 second intervals, melt chocolate, butter, and Nutella. Once it’s smooth and melted, pour it over the Chex cereal. Gently stir the cereal until it’s coated in chocolate. Add in crushed Kit Kats and mix.
Next, pour the mixture into a ziplock bag. Add in the powdered sugar. Zip the bag of, leaving air in it. Shake until all the pieces are fairly well covered in powdered sugar (some will have more than others and that’s fine).
Pour into a bowl, add in some chopped Kit Kats, and eat until your heart is content (which I apologize in advance because you may never be content after tasting this).
If you want these recipes sent directly to your email, you can sign up for email updates at the top of the page! Or, if you’re on a mobile device, keep scrolling down through the post ’til you see the sign up form. 🙂
Yields About 4 cups
10 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
- 4 c Rice or Corn Chex Cereal
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3/4 c semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 c Nutella
- 4 Regular Sized Kit Kat bar packages
- 3/4 c powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, pour in 4 cups of Rice or Corn Chex Cereal. Set aside.
- Over a double broiler, or in the microwave in 20 second intervals, melt the butter, chocolate chips, and Nutella. Make sure to stir frequently as to keep the chocolate from burning and/or seizing.
- While it's melting, chop two of the Kit Kat bar packs into fine pieces. Because of the wafer inside, the pieces will be like crumbs.
- Once the chocolate has melted, pour it over the cereal. Stir gently until all pieces are fairly coated with chocolate. Add in the Kit Kat crumbs and stir them around gently.
- In a large gallon ziplock bag, pour in the chocolate cereal mix and the powdered sugar. Zip the bag up (with air inside) and shake the cereal until all pieces are coated with powdered sugar (some will be more coated than others, which is fine).
- Chop up the other two Kit Kat bars in thicker, bite-sized pieces.
- In a bowl, mix together the puppy chow and Kit Kats.